Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Birthday boy...and my very last hug from Daddy.

Back towards the end of May we were actually home...as in not out on the road.
Joshua's birthday was quickly approaching but so was hurricane season. SO....we made the decision to have Josh's birthday a few weeks early.

That was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

That would be the last time I would ever, on this earth, see, hug and smile at my sweet dad again.

The day was hectic. If I had known then what I know now, I would have spent much more time visiting my dad and a lot less time scurrying around picking up water balloon pieces, throwing away birthday present trash and running this way and that. I would have taken more time to sit with my dad and just 'be'. He and Franny had made it to San Antonio for Jessica's fifth birthday and I was delighted when they told me they would be able to make it to Josh's big #5. Dad loved to travel but Daddy did not like driving...lol. So this was a great big deal to me that they would be here for Josh's party. One thing I wasn't even considering when planning his party date early was that my dad and Fran take their annual summer trip (that includes all of us kiddos) in mid-June. We haven't been able to make it for quite so many years now as we are usually away on work.  But honestly, in planning his birthday early, for some reason, it just felt like the right thing to do.  I have to say that now, it is perfectly clear to me Who it was that really orchestrated the details here.

Joshua wanted an Angry Birds party so I got to utilize my crafty streak a few week before the party.





I am sad to end this post on a negative note, but I can't help my feelings. I am sad for me and sad that my children can't enjoy their Granddaddy anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful for every moment with my dad that we were blessed with. I do know that God has a plan. I am just still in disbelief that my father was murdered by someone so very selfish and foolish. Someone who hasn't even had it in his heart to apologize to all the many people he hurt and for the lives he so horribly affected. Someone that was supposed to be one of my fathers best friends. I am so very disgusted at that. There is simply NO worthy excuse for his actions. None at all. I have held my feelings in on this for so long and there are many more things that I want to say, but won't.

I miss my Daddy. I am so happy that he got to come to my sweet son's fifth birthday. I will make sure my kids remember their Granddaddy and all of his wonderful qualities. He loved them so very much.  I love you, Daddy.  Sending up a great big hug.



5 comments:

  1. This is a great post. It shows some of the happiest moments and the saddest moment in your life. Shelby you are one of the kindest and non confrontational persons I know. To speak your heart is just that.
    We love you.
    Love
    Tough guy family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob said......

    This was a great day. I am grateful for the time Fran and Mark took to make the trip from Houston for my son’s 5th birthday. It was hectic with all the party activities and I am saddened that I did not see Mark and Fran leave and have the chance to shake his hand one more time and say good bye. I kick myself for that. I do have to smile though when I think about their arrival to the party. I was cooking and was handed the phone by Shelby asking me to help Mark and Fran find the house. I handed over the bbq tongs to good friend Kenneth. I commenced about a 20 minute call to help navigate them to the house. I was talking to Fran but could hear Mark in the background asking questions and could tell he was in a great mood. One of the questions was “Is ya’lls the one with the cow in the field?” Which was a complete joke because every field out by my parent’s house has a cow in it? But, that was Mark. He had a great since of humor and loved to have a good time. I am grateful for his generosity and open house/open arms policy he had with me and more poignantly, my children. He will be deeply missed for the rest of this life until we see him again. And we will!

    It too, makes me sick thinking of how things transpired and who was involved. I look at Mark’s picture on a daily basis and say to myself, every time, “It just doesn’t seem possible”. The lives affected by this man’s actions that night are exponential. I am angry that my children have cried one single tear over this situation. Not just for the loss of their beloved Grand Daddy but for the fact that they know exactly who did this to him and they can’t fathom WHY! And, YES they have cried over the who in who did it.

    I feel so sad and sorry for the pain that Fran, Shelby, Lacey, Ashley and family, Tiffany, my children, Mark’s brother, Frank, and his family and all of Mark’s many friends and extended family have felt over the last couple weeks. I pray for comfort and understanding for all who knew Mark. If anything good comes out of this I hope and pray that it brings everyone involved closer to Jesus. Through Jesus alone we will see Mark again.

    To Mark: I'm sorry I never took the time to go on that Mexico Dove Hunt you wanted. I never said it to you when you were here with us (guy thing I guess) but I love you and I love the love you gave me and my family. You are missed……

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob,
    I dont know what to say, Mark loved and respected you so much. You are a wonderful husband, Father and Son-Inlaw. That is so funny about the cow, I remember every word. ( which is very unusual) It was a very special day for us.
    We love you,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post Shelby. I also so loved reading Jacob's thoughts :) Josh's birthday was a special memory and I am so glad you took the time to take pictures and document your thoughts about it!! (and you did an absolutely amazing job with the Angry Birds theme!!) Daddy will be missed by all, but I am so grateful Jess and Josh got to spend the time with him that they did. He loved them sooooo much. It was so sweet how Dad's eyes lit up when they walked in the room. He was so proud of all of you!!
    xoxo
    Lace
    Love Lace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post. I remember Josh's birthday party, we had so much fun and I remember how excitted the Hill Family was to see Dr and Mrs Holcomb there. Shelby you did an amazing job that day with Josh's party and because of your hard work we all enjoyed a wonderful time, got to visit and make memories.
    I am so sorry and saddened that Dr Holcombs life was cut short and at the hands of someone who was suppose to be his friend. I pray that the whole Holcomb Family can find peace, but in that peace remember daily the love, smiles and joy a wonderful man brought to your lives. I know Jess and Josh will never forget their Granddaddy and Shelby you will help keep him alive with your memories and stories. I am sure Jacob will have some wonderful memories to add and what a treasure that will be.
    Love
    Kenneth, April, Kallie, Kolby and Baby Barnes

    PS Thank you so much for including us in that wonderful celebration on Josh's 5th year of life. God Bless

    ReplyDelete