Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This and That

Here are a few pictures of a few of the things we did this week.

The kids enjoyed some winter watermelon Uppercase/lowercase matching Valentine foam crafts from the dollar store Played around with the abacus and some magnetic numbers a bit
Both of the kids love naming the states.

Below is a video of Jess naming some:



Concocted some blueberry, grape, peach, banana, apple and carrot smoothies

We also had a sad day this past Wednesday. We lost our little pet, "Hammi".
Hammi loved to sleep on his wheel

We inherited Hammi the hamster from my little sister, Ashley, when the hamster was about a year and a half old. He was the cutest little hamster and the kids fell in love with him. Since it is pretty tight quarters in the RV, we decided that small pets are the way to go at this point in time. So...losing Hammi was a big deal. After some research, I found that Hammi, was indeed, a very old man. That made me feel a little better after his death and it also made it easier to explain to the kids. We had a proper burial for him and the kids had a big dose of reality and asked a bunch of questions about death. Luckily I had a few days to prepare as we watched Hammi's health decline. We will be on the hunt for a new Hammi soon. We just need pets in our lives. The provide a kind of joy that is too cool to go without! We will miss that little guy!

9 comments:

  1. OH, MY GOODNESS !!! Shel...I cannot BELIEVE the video of Jessi naming the states...is she really only four years old ??? I have thought for a long time that she might have a photographic memory...she loves learning so much...she will always be your "student"...and little brother is just a couple of years behind...what blessings for you...the amazing benefit of teaching your child phonics is pretty evident in this one...GOOD JOB, MOMMA...YOU ROCK !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shel,
    So cute!
    Sorry about Hammi.Addie lost her pet bunny Bluey last week while she gave birth.Addie slept with this bunny and dressed it up like a baby doll. It has been a rough couple of days,she says EVERYTHING reminds her of Bluey.The sky,clothes,cars,the school playground,poor kid why do so many things have to be blue.
    Love yall Shel,keep up the good work,I am so proud of you and the wonderful mother,wife and person you have become,I always knew you were the best friend a girl could have.............
    Love,Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shell, Jess is SO smart! Your such a wonderful monther!! Poor Hammi:( but he was very very old..I remember buying him when he was a baby hami (about the size of a half dollar!!). I wouldn't have wanted him to live out his life anywhere else! Tell the kids I love them and miss them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable, we are coming over. The kids love crafts !! We will be getting back to school next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you also had a "real-life" Hammi. So sorry to hear that he's gone. I'm sure it was hard on the kids. I can't wait until we are neighbors someday soon! Y'all just have too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have nominated you for a blog award, come visit to collect it !

    http://homeschoolingintexas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Hammi. When we lost our first hamster several years ago, I don't know who was more upset, the kids or myself. I also discovered that she was an old lady, hadn't known how long hamsters were supposed to live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelby, this post really inspired me. Nothing to d with Hammi (though I am sorry for your loss, but how awesome you are as a mom and a teacher! I feel like I am slacking compared to you, but that doesn't make me feel bad like we're in competition- it just reminds me to try to make the most of the time I have with my kids! Seriously, you are doing such a good job! Thanks for setting a great example for me, sharing what you are doing and giving me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness Beth, that was a tall compliment! If you only knew all my shortcomings (there are many that I work on every day!)! Thank you very much for the compliment. You are an amazing momma yourself and I admire you in many ways!!! One day our hubby's will hopefully meet up and we can continue to kindle our friendship!!!

    Give Z, S and L a hug from us!

    ReplyDelete