
The week we arrived in Des Moines, IA the Iowa state fair was kicking off. Supposedly it is the second best state fair in the United States. Now...there was NO way in the world I was missing the opportunity to take my kids there while we were only 10 miles from it.
Jacob wasn't able to get off for the fair, so momma packed my umbrella stroller and off we went. We parked two blocks away in somebody's driveway. That little area around the fair has to make buckets of money come fair time as everybody charges for parking. I began my walk with the kids and I get behind an older couple. The lady turns around and says to me..."You are not taking these kids to the fair all by yourself, are you?" Why, yes ma'am, I sure am, I tell her and she gives me this "you're crazy" glare. I get inside and notice it is really crowded for a Thursday morning so I write the our cell phone numbers on the inside of my kiddo's arms. You know...just in case. The lady got me a bit nervous. Not sure why. This wasn't our first rodeo!
That is one massive Charolais. Check out the the stats on this big guy!
Even more than sheep, I miss my riding days. Morgans were showing today. Their beautiful gait had me mesmerized! I just love watching them show.
Probably the most anticipated thing that Jess wanted to do at the fair was milk a cow. She has been wanting to do this forever. She loves to watch our little calves nurse on their mommas and she wanted to try to milk one herself. First we went and watched three cows get milked at the milking parlor. There was one hour until the "you milk a cow" line opened up. Her interest was still peaked so waited around that area for an hour. Josh seemed on board to get to milk a cow to, or so I thought.
We were at the front of the line and I paid the four dollars for each of them to have a turn milking. Jess ran at her opportunity to sit down next to the engorged momma. Josh...not so much. I sat down with him, next to his cow, and he began crying saying he did not want this cow. He wanted a different cow. Well, seeing as there weren't many milking cows to choose from, I got to milk the cow! I thought it may entice him to try but no such luck. Maybe next time. Jess enjoyed it immensely!
Then of course we had to hit the carnival rides. For twenty bucks they got to ride three rides. Geesh. We lucked out and got one ride free. It was really strange watching my kids ride the rides and not having to ride with them. I had another one of those where-does-the-time-go moments.
Not sure what these toga people were doing here but it was quite interesting.
Couldn't pass up the pony rides. They actually chose to ride these guys over the camels!
While waiting around the milking parlor area to milk the cows we went walking around to look at some of the booths. We discovered a booth selling real leather cowboy boots for only $21.00 a pair! Now, if this booth was in Texas, these would be sold for upwards of $35 or $40.00! I did not want to pass this up and neither did the kids. But, I wasn't about to carry around two big boot boxes, one umbrella stroller and keep up with two kids. So, I told them at the end of the day, if they still wanted the boots, we could come back and get them.
By the end of the day, we were beat. I planned to hit the pony rides last as they were at the front near the exit gate. Pony rides done and we begin heading toward the gate when the kids remind me about the boots. Oh my, I did not want to track all the way across the HUGE fairground back to the boots booth. Of course I had to keep my word so off we went to get the boots. I got turned around when I left the boot booth and asked where the entrance was. I was pointed in the wrong direction and went all the way to the other end of the place. One kid on my shoulders and the other in the stroller, boot box hanging off the handles. Oh how I was missing the kid's wagon at that point.
As we walk out we just happen to be leaving behind the old lady that was questioning my sanity at the beginning of the day. It felt good to show her that I still had both children in tow (albeit both with cell phone numbers smudged on their forearms)and a smile on my face. I got in a good workout and we all had a great time at the Iowa State fair. Only thing missing was my sweet Jacob. Thanks for providing such a beautiful life for us Babe!






And this dear is why I think you are amazing! You were also able to take pics...that is always tricky to to me!
ReplyDeleteLucky Kids!
- Angela
Shel,
ReplyDeleteYou are such an ADOREABLE Mommy...this was an awesome adventure for your babies and one YOU will never forget...this was truly a beautiful trip you took us all on, as well ! The girls in the horse show so reminded me of our horse show days...what wonderful memories of you and Middy. What blessed babies you have...what a wonderful life...
xoxox
Ma / Mimi
Look at all those smiles!! Looks like you all had a great time.
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious day and what a great momma to do all that all by yourself!!
ReplyDeleteLove aunti Lacey
looks like fun! what are teh odds the fair was there same time as you! you are so great at scoping those things out and finding the funest things to do while "visiting" these places. it makes it seem so fun to be you guys!!! :)
ReplyDelete