Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scratching my creative itch

I was a busy momma over Christmas time. I finally got to scratch my creative itch.

I made 16 pillow cases for family and friends. While a pillow case isn't a difficult sewing project, it was fun coordinating with everyone's decor in their rooms.

I have also been in the midst of redecorating Jessica's room. We recently got her a twin size bed rather than the toddler bed. It was time and she seemed to be ready to move on from the princess theme (...sigh...they grow up so fast, don't they?)

I had seen an idea using window frames and scrapbook papers and I had set my mind on getting it done over Christmas. We went to some antique places on the hunt for the 6 paned windows frames. I found one (for $5.00!!) and I repainted it and then sanded it to give it the shabby chic look. Then I found six different scrapbook paper prints that already had in my stash that I liked for Jessica's room.

Once the frame was painted and dry, I put the papers in. They are only attached with tape so that I can change the colors anytime we want.

Then I went online to a lovely store,Anthropologie and ordered some antique style drawer pulls. They ran between $6 and $8/per knob. I wanted to put them at the bottom of the frame so Jess could hang her purses, coats or robes there if she'd like to. I wrangled Jacob in to help me putting the knobs on. I think the knobs make the piece!



Viola! Functional wall art. Easy, pretty and fairly cheap!



Jacob added a few shelves on her wall for all of her little knickknacks. It is coming along. I want to do one more thing above her bed. I am thinking of a cork bulletin board type thing that will look kind of like a headboard. She will love to have a place in her room to put up all her drawings, favorite pictures, etc. That is next.



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that shell!! I wish I was that creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! Such a sweet room ...I love that antique look. I need you to come help me redo Addie's room it is pepto pink and she wasnt a green Peace room......Help me help me!!!
    love ya shell!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it!! what a great idea!!! We have been busy over here making quilts.... =) Its fun to scratch that itch once in awhile.. =)

    ReplyDelete