This year I have begun teaching that in the giving we receive. It isn't as important to "GET" as it is to "GIVE". This is a very difficult concept for a three year old to grasp and I know this. We started small and I asked the kids to go through their toys and pick ones that would like to give children that didn't have as many toys as they did. I explained that we would take them to a place that would send them to these less fortunate children. I tried to explain how happy these children would be because of my kids generosity and more importantly how happy my kids would make God with their actions.
Yup....that was MUCH easier said than done. So I waited for a time that the kids were busy outside of their room and I gathered the toys that they had lost interest in and put them in a large bag. We took them to Interfaith Caring Ministries and as the kids watched the ladies carry the bags away Jess says..."That lady took Joshie's guppy fish from him!". I explained that Joshua was o.k. with giving the fish away. I told them the toy would likey go to a little boy who didn't have very many toys. She asked several questions about little toy guppy but I knew that I had begun paving the road to my children understanding that it is MUCH more important to give than it is to recieve!
As this Christmas closes in I feel so happy to have begun our tradition of sharing! I hope that you and yours get to feel how WONDERFUL it is give this holiday!
Matthew 6:19-21 (New International Version)
Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Someday your kiddos will look back and realize just how much their mommy and daddy has given them by teaching them such valuable lessons. I hope that we can be half the parents that you and Jacob are!
ReplyDelete