This past week my Granddaddy passed away.
For nearly 15 years Alzheimer's disease slowly took him from us. It robbed him of so much. It slowly left him looking at only stranger's faces. It stole his memories of his children and his grandchildren. It took away his rights to simple human dignity. It is an ugly, awful, sad and unfair disease. I hate this disease.
Unbeknownst to him, Granddaddy was still very loved, adored and cared about by many, many people. Boys who were raised by him. A wife who made him malt-o-meal and smoothies for the past 10 years straight for every meal by request. Grandkids who remember riding on his lap in his trucks through the oilfields, fishing trips, great stories told over and over while sitting on his lap. This man was very loved.
To watch Alzheimer's effect someone you love is an awful feeling. The day my Granddad died a part of me smiled a great big smile to know that he is back now. His mind and body restored. His loved ones who died ahead of him are with him now and he will know just who they are. I love my Granddaddy so much and I'm so glad he is better now.
His flesh shall be young like a child's, He shall return to the days of his youth. {26} He shall pray to God, and He will delight in him, He shall see His face with joy, For He restores to man His righteousness.(Job 33:25-26)
He will swallow up death in victory: and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off faces, ...
(Isaiah 25:8)






I was sorry to hear of his passing. Your description of this disease is so acurate. I'm glad he is restored in Heaven. Love you and will pray for you and your family during this time of loss.
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for your family, Shelby. {HUGS}
ReplyDeleteSweet Shel...
ReplyDeleteThis was a beautiful tribute to a darling man...
Momma / Mimi
Absoutly beautiful!
ReplyDeleteShelby, I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather. We're praying for you and your family. We know too well what it's like to lose a grandparent to a horrible disease. We also find comfort in knowing that our grandmother is healed and happy again.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteI lost mine to the same thing,it stinks.But now they are both in Heaven with minds full of love and memories of their Granddaughters who love them.They will recognize us forsure when we see them again one day!
Lots of love and thoughts for you today and always
love ya Shellhead-Lesser
Wish I could have been there to hug you cuz.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, love you cuz
Very sweet sister!
ReplyDeleteLace