Friday, July 15, 2011

Lookout Mountain and Incline train

On one of Jacob's rare days off we decided to take a car ride to see what Lookout Mountain's "Point Park" was all about.

"Lookout Mountain is located at the northwest corner of the U.S. state of Georgia, the northeast corner of Alabama, and along the southern border of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The foothills of the mountain extend into Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park. Near Chattanooga, the caves of Ruby Falls are contained within Lookout Mountain, and the rock formations of the Rock City tourist attraction are situated on the ridge, as well as the Lookout Mountain Incline Railway. Civil War-related landmarks include "Point Park," operated by the National Park Service, and Cravens House. Lookout Mountain was the scene of the Battle of Lookout Mountain (November 24, 1863) during the American Civil War." -Wikipedia






This particular Civil War battle was called the "Battle above the clouds". You can see why!







There was even a tiny museum inside one of the huge boulders on the mountain.






This is the view from the top of the Incline Railway. This was such a unique experience. Two incline rail cars run on a cable system. As one car is going down the other is going up. They cross right in the middle. The track is one mile long.

There is a 72.7% grade – straight up! It is the steepest railway in the world!





It really was thrilling although you may not believe me seeing this yawning passenger!


Incline railway cable system (at the top)

We got turned around up on the mountain top trying to find "Point Park" and we saw so many beautiful, enormous homes. It was a lovely day with great memories made. The kids learned a bit about what a "Civil War" was. I enjoyed listening to Jess and her questions. I know her brain was ticking as she was asking for clarification several times asking if both sides were Americans? I love learning!



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys enjoyed our area!

    I got onto the incline once (at the top) and got right back off again. It scared me!

    LOL! :)

    Thanks for sharing... you took such lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome place, you outta keep a journal for the kids of all the places they have been.
    Hurry and get back to TX I wanna see ya girl!!
    love ya shel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great adventure along with the precious Hill family...I feel like I was there, too !!!

    xoxoxo

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looked like a cool placce to visit!

    ReplyDelete